Monday, February 2, 2009

Pictures of Orvieto

This past weekend, we went to Rome again for a study tour. But I came back to Orvieto on Friday night, so I could have a whole weekend here. It was really nice. I had two days to just hang around the city without having to go to class. So, I finally got out and took pictures of Orvieto! It was actually fairly sunny, which hasn't happened very often since I've been here. So, look at these pictures and hopefully you can have a better idea of where I am living.

These are the stairs leading from our apartment to the Piazza del Duomo, where the Study Center is located, and, of course, the Duomo (cathedral). I walk up these every day on my way to class.
This is the Duomo di Orvieto.Notice the gold in the mosaics reflecting in the sunlight. A detail of one of the twisted columns on the facade of the duomo. This facade is amazing, covered in mosaics and intricate patterns.

This is the Torre del Moro I believe, it is at the intersection of the 2 main streets in Oriveto, Corso Cavour and Via del Duomo.
The Piazza dei Ranieri. This is the space that Christie and I are studying for our project. We just finished the analysis portion today, and then we will begin designing a demountable intervention in the space.
The entire town of Orvieto is located on a plateau, there are cliffs all around it. Here are some of them.
Some cars and a street.


This is a park located on the western tip of the city.

The park is located at the base of the oldest church in Orvieto, St. Giovanni.

The view from the park. There was a soccer game going on in that town down there. I could hear it real good. There weren't that many fans, but they were loud.

The Piazza de Repubblica. This is where city hall is located.

I hope this is fun to look at an helps in giving you an idea of what this town is like.

So, I watched the first half of the superbowl last night, but after the Boss played the halftime show, I got tired and went to bed (because it was 2:30am) Too bad Kurt Warner lost.

3 comments:

  1. i remember that duomo cause it is the stripey one!
    where are all the people? i think this town is deserted ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey andrew! katie told me about your blog today. i love the pictures and hope you're having a great time in italy so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply breathtaking. I'm in love with Italy... maybe its more like a crush. I'm trying to understand why the man who founded Olathe used the Shawnee word for beautiful. Maybe it was beautiful before the suburban infection got to it. Who knows. Bello.

    ReplyDelete